Tuesday, June 23, 2009

How To Tame Unruly Curls


I was reading this article on Ivillage.com and I thought I'd share it because these are the methods that I use for defined frizz-free curls (click on the title for full article). I should also let you know that I stopped using chemical relaxers a year ago (exactly in June 2008) and I am currently transitioning. I am in the process of a long term transition, which means I will slowly chop off the relaxed ends of my hair until I only have my complete natural texture. I did my first "big trim" two days ago after a year of transitioning. So far, I am loving the process.

Here are some tips from the article...

-First, love your curls
-If you shampoo, use sulfate-free shapoos- I stopped using shampoos a year ago and it has done wonders for the health of my hair. I only wash with conditioner which has cleansing ingredients in them as well.
-Condition, Condition, Condition- After rinsing conditioner, I always add more for detangling and leave-in purposes for extra hydration. This leave-in method is the secret for fighting frizz. This will not work for all types of hair.
-Do not towel dry. Blot with a t shirt or paper towels. This is a part of preventing frizzy hair.
-After applying products and styling, leave hair alone until it dries- More fighting against frizz
-Sleep on a satin pillowcase
-Scrunch the curls for definition and volume- this does not work for me and creates frizz
-Find the right product for your curl texture and don't use too much, but also don't use too little-Air dry as often as possible
-If you must use heat, use a diffuser
-Get a good hair cut and interview your stylist about their knowledge of curls- I completely don't trust a stylist. No one knows how to manage my hair like me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah i agree 100% i dont trust many people in my hair, nor do i believe in spending loads of money to get my hair done professionally when i can do it lol
actually im about to condition my hair, twist it in fat twists, take it down and put it in a big side ponytail lol
i will post that :]